Sunday, October 9, 2011

Simple Spanish Rice

Post number 6 for VeganMoFo.

I love rice. It is comforting, filling, and can be somewhat nutritious if you eat brown rice. I enjoy rice warm or cold and find that it pairs well with vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and beans. It is a versatile grain that is a comfort food for me.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is a simple dish that my Mom and Grandma made named Spanish rice. I don't know if my Grandma made it up or read about it somewhere, but when she makes it everyone eats it (well, except my Dad.) The simplicity of this rice dish lends it to being able to be easily modified to include additional flavor components. I make it a bit different then my family, so I'll give you my take on the recipe.



Spanish Rice
  • 1 Tbsp of olive oil or vegetable broth for sauteing
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
  • 8 oz can of no salt added tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water or homemade vegetable broth
  • 1 cup of brown minute rice
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
Place oil or vegetable broth in a skillet and heat on medium. When the oil is heated add the diced onion and saute' until the onion is translucent. Halfway through the time to cook the onion, add the red pepper flakes, When onions are translucent, add in the can of tomato sauce and cup of water. I usually fill the can up with water and swish it around to get all of the sauce off the sides. Let the sauce come to a boil. Add in minute rice, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder and bring back to a boil with the lid off. When the mixture boils, time it for five minutes. After five minutes, remove from heat, cover, and set aside for 10 minutes. When finished, fluff with fork and serve.



We serve this side with many entrees, but on this particular night we made hard shell tacos with pinto beans, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, vegan cheese, and served with a salad of red leaf lettuce, carrots, radish, olives, sunflower seeds, and goddess dressing. This meal was filling, delicious, and fast!

5 comments:

Vegan Wheekers said...

I love Spanish Rice, especially in burritos. Your recipe looks simple and yum!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Your spanish rice looks great.

panda with cookie said...

I should try this! I haven't had Spanish rice in a long time.

John M said...

It looks nice and tasted really good too!

x said...

I've never made Spanish rice so I'm bookmarking your recipe!