Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Raw Kale Salad

Post number 19 for VeganMoFo. I'm one post away from my goal of 20 posts this month for MoFo!

I have had a cold for about a week now. It started off feeling like the flu, but now it has manifested into a cold. This feels like a long time to have a cold. I am wondering
if my immune system is down a bit since I had some accidental incidences with gluten over the summer. I am trying not to be too concerned about it, but I can't help but wonder.

With these concerns, I have wanted to eat more greens. We purchased greens at the farmers market this past weekend and felt that a raw kale salad was in order. I have been on a kale kick all year. I can't get enough of that green! It is delicious and the most
nutrient dense food available. To make the salad w
e use a whole pound of kale and share it, therefore we each eat a half a pound of kale. Because of the density, this salad is so filling. We normally switch up some of the ingredients, but kale, avocado, and the dressing always remain the same. We served this with a tempeh and bell pepper stir fry. The salad was so filling, that I only had a small serving of the stir fry.

Raw Kale Salad
  • 1 pound of kale, washed, stems removed and leaves torn*
  • 1/2 cup sungold tomatoes from our garden, washed and cut in half
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/3 c fresh squeezed lemon juice**
  • 1/4 c flax seed oil
  • Few drops of Braggs liquid aminos
Place the prepared kale in a serving bowl and add in the tomatoes. Prepare the dressing before cutting the avocado. Place the lemon juice, oil, and Braggs in a bowl and whisk vigorously until mixed. Set aside. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the goodness. chop into small pieces and sprinkle on the salad. Whisk the dressing again and pour it over the salad. Toss to make sure that the dressing coats the leaves and the avocado. Let the salad sit for 10 minutes to soak in the flavor. Serve and enjoy!

*We used dinosaur kale as it is our favorite.
**The lemon was large, so we only needed one. If you have a smaller lemon, you will probably need two


4 comments:

Ingrid said...

I am battling a virus, myself. No fun! But this salad looks really delicious. Can't wait to try it!

foodfeud said...

I looove kale salads! However, I only tried dino kale for the first time the other day and was surprised that it tasted different.

affectioknit said...

YUM! I hope you feel better soon!

GiGi said...

Feel better Amanda! I love salads like this.