Every once and a while, we go through the pantry and refrigerator and decide to have a meal using up what we have. This particular day we had pinto beans, taco shells, onions, bell peppers from our CSA, a pepper from our garden, cilantro, salsa, tomatoes, and vegan cheese. We first thought that we would have tacos and salad and then I decided to go for something more exciting. I wanted a taco casserole.
I threw together the ingredients and came up with a dish that we both loved and will most definitely have again! You can change up the ingredients to what you have in your pantry and fridge!
Pantry Clean Out Taco Casserole
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 hot pepper like a jalapeno (or mild if you prefer), chopped
- 1 15 oz can of beans- we used salt free, organic pinto- drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, salt free
- 1/2 cup low salt, organic salsa
- 1 tbsp of taco seasoning- cumin, chili powder, garlic, and onion powder
- 1/2 package of organic corn hard taco shells, broken in half
- 1 fresh diced tomato
- 1 cup vegan cheese
- 1/4 c cilantro
- 3 scallions chopped
Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a casserole dish place half of the broken taco shells, top with half of the bean mixture and half of the vegan cheese. Place the remaining taco shells on top and repeat with the rest of the bean mixture and cheese. Please in the oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle on the tomato and scallions and place back in the over for 5 minutes. Remove from the over, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.