Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Strawberry Tart With Coconut Whipped Cream - Post 2

Over the summer, my Mom returned to North Carolina from Buffalo with vegan, gluten free recipes in hand from the Buffalo newspaper. When she said it, I thought she was kidding. For those of you that have not had the pleasure of visiting Buffalo, it is a place filled with chicken wings, pizza, American style meaty sandwiches, and breakfast food. All of which are neither friendly to a vegan or gluten freer. When I visit family, I go to Wegman's and stock up on goods to make food at my Grandma's place. I don't bother venturing out very much as I have had some bad experiences. 

Enough of focusing on the negative, and getting back to the point.....I was delighted to see a recipe for a Strawberry Tarts with Coconut Whipped Cream. The tarts have a crunchy almond crust with a light and airy whip cream on the top. I have made the tarts on two occasions, one for a Labor Day vegan BBQ and for my Mom's Birthday. The first time I made this recipe, I put the tarts together and let them sit too long and the juices from the strawberries softened the tart crust. The second time I did not make them up ahead. 


These tarts were a winner on both occasions, but much better the second time around. The shells were crunchy with a hint of sweet and salty. The strawberries were mixed with balsamic vinegar and surprisingly did not taste like vinegar, but the flavor of the strawberry was enhanced. The coconut whip cream was rich and fluffy. From what I remember of fresh whip cream, this seemed to be quite similar. I had to stop my self from eating the whip cream on its own. 

I plan on using the tart shells and whip cream in another capacity as well. I have been dreaming up all sorts of savories and sweets that would pair well with the tart. I can also see topping pancakes, french toast, and ice cream sundaes with the cream. I think the writer of this recipe was on to something big!

6 comments:

GiGi said...

I visited Buffalo with an ex finacee many moons ago when I was a mere veg. Dinner at his mother's included soe kind of weird ass aspic, so I know what you are talking about. Yay for the forwrd looking Buffalo newspaper. Yay for your mom and this greta recipe. Love coconut creme and strawberries.

KitteeBee said...

yum!!! i miss strawberries already...

xo
kittee

John said...

Maybe they'll start serving these in Buffalo some day!

VeggieAmanda said...

I am hoping that places like Buffalo will become more Vegan (and GF) friendly! I am also missing strawberries. The local ones here are so amazing!

affectioknit said...

YUM! I love coconut whipped creme...I could just eat it by the spoonful...or fingerful as the case may be...

~Have a lovely day!

x said...

They look delicious, I love anything with strawberries and I bet that coconut cream is hard to resist!