Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Quinoa Bowl- Post 18

In continuing with my semi-theme of CSA ingredients, my blog today is regarding a bowl containing several ingredients from our share. Bowls are a great way to use what you already have and turn it into something delicious, nutritious, warm, and filling. Many different ingredients can come together to create a soul satisfying dinner.  I recently became interested in bowls after two trips earlier this year. One was to Palm Springs, CA and the other was to New York City. During several of my visits to vegan or vegan-friendly restaurants, I ordered a quinoa or rice bowl. One of the tasty bowls I ordered had sweet potato, tempeh, and sauerkraut. 



We recently received senpasai in our share and I was very interested in trying this green. I had never tasted it before, but figured that it could be cooked like other greens- steamed or sauteed. In reading about it online, I found out that it is related to cabbage and is Japanese in origin. The taste is sort of a softer version of bok choi. The leaves are not as dense or chewy, nor is the green as dark as bok choi. I tasted the green both raw and cooked and felt that it could be consumed either way. On this particular night, however, I decided to steam it. 


Another ingredient that we received, and have been receiving, are red peppers. They are more rich and sweet than any pepper I have ever purchased in a grocery store. The peppers are just heavenly raw and many times we snack on the peppers. 

In addition to the greens and peppers, we had a can of salt free pinto beans, organic broccoli, ginger from our farmers market, and organic quinoa from the bulk bin at a local natural foods store. The greens, broccoli, peppers, and ginger were steamed for several minutes on the stove and placed over the cooked quinoa. The pinto beans were warmed in the microwave and placed in the same bowl. We modified a peanut lime sauce from Appetite for Reduction to put over the top. The dressing contains peanuts, peanut butter, lime juice, shallots, tamari, and ginger. 

The combination of all of the ingredients was so fulfilling. After eating this meal, I was satisfied. After dinner, I often dream of going into the kitchen for chocolate or some other sweet or snack. On this occasion, I was kept full all evening and went to bed without indulging in something that I would feel guilty for consuming. 

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

What a yummy combination of your ingredients!

~Have a lovely day!

x said...

That looks like a delicious bowl of food!

I love getting produce that tastes so much better than supermarket stuff, it's great! And I haven't heard of that green but it looks good!

And I so know what you mean, sometimes I have dinner and then want something sweet but I prefer to feel full and satisfied from a healthy, filling dinner!