Thursday, October 11, 2012

Miso Ginger Green Beans- Post 9


Today is another post about a CSA ingredient--green beans. While green beans are a common vegetable, I have eaten them almost the same way my whole life. My Mom used to make them sauteed with olive oil, garlic, water chestnuts, and a little bit of soy sauce. I have also had them in stir fries or the ever common green bean casserole. 

I prefer them in stir fries or sauteed to casseroles, so I thought I would come up with a new dish to add some excitement to the beans! I thought of my favorite flavors and then put them together. It is not a complicated dish, but it is packed full of flavor.  In addition, your home will have the smell of garlic, olive oil, and ginger and that is always comforting to me!


Miso Ginger Green Beans
  • 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large clove garlic (or two small), grated
  • 1.5 inch thick piece of ginger, skin removed, grated
  • 1 1/2 tbsp miso paste (make sure it is GF and not made from barley)
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • pepper to taste
Heat a skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil and add in half of the grated garlic and half of the grated ginger. Saute for 3 minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic. Add in the miso paste and stir to combine. Let the miso mixture cook for about 3 minutes. Remove the miso mixture from the pan and set aside. 

Place the remaining tsp of olive oil into the pan and add the remaining garlic and ginger. Saute for 3 minutes. Then add the green beans. Cook for 3 minutes and add the rice wine vinegar and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes more and add in the miso mixture and stir to coat the beans. When coated, cook until tender. Serve warm.  

9 comments:

Caitlin said...

i love green beans, too! this variation looks great. i love the chunks of garlic and ginger on top ;)

KitteeBee said...

nice work, amanda! making up recipes with ingredients you like is so fun. your beans look yump.

xo
kittee

Dawn said...

Sounds so good. I grew up with boiled canned green beans. I like fresh ones SOOO much better.

Dawn said...

Sounds so good. I grew up with boiled canned green beans. I like fresh ones SOOO much better.

Sarah said...

these sound great!

Nikki said...

Miso sounds great for green beans! Yum :)

Ingrid said...

Yum! I should definitely try this!

Veganosaurus said...

They look and sound do yum, Amanda.

x said...

I love green beans to and am always looking for new ways to eat them (I usually just steam and eat 'em plain!)