Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Precious Nephew


"A new baby is like the beginning of all things-wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities." ~Eda J. Le Shan~

On September 2, 2008 Andr
ew Douglas Surface, our nephew, was born weighing 6 pounds, 5 ounces and 19.5 inches long. My Mom, John, and I had the pleasure of going to Charlotte, NC this past weekend to meet the new baby and help in parenting and household duties.




I hope that we were able to help Mary Catherine (John's sister) and Warren (her husband) transition into bringing baby Andrew home. We all helped with laundry, cleaning, cooking, taking care of their 2 and a 1/2 year old son, and our Godson, Alex. We tried to be as helpful as possible and hope we were not burdensome "guests." I truly enjoyed spending time with the new baby and family, but my purpose was to add a helping hand.


In addition to the household duties, I had the pleasure of holding Andrew for hours and hours each day of the visit. His sweet presence warmed my heart! As I held him, he cuddled into my arms and slept peacefully. When awake, he would look into my eyes and study my face. There is nothing sweeter in life, that I have experienced, than this interaction. It was pure, innocent, and without conditions. I have been blessed to have four nephews (and a niece on the way) to share this precious bond and look forward to having a child some day. (For those of you who know me, do not get all excited because we do not plan on children for several more years)


We also had the opportunity to witness Alex's introduction to baby Andrew moving home. Alex was nothing short of an angel! He welcomed Andrew with open arms and many kisses! He asked to kiss and hold Andrew often and seemed excited to see him after each nap and each morning that he woke. Mary Catherine and Warren are truly blessed to have Alex react in so positively. It is not surprising because Alex has such nice demeanor and fun spirit.



John and I felt blessed to have the opportunity to visit this past weekend and to meet the new member of the family. We look forward to many more happy visits and hope that Andrew, Alex, Mary Catherine, and Warren are doing well during this special time.


(Mary Catherine and Andrew)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a sweetie! Glad you had the opportunity to be able to be such a support to the new parents!