Thursday, October 27, 2011

Breakfast Qunioa

Post number 21 for VeganMoFo. I met my goal to have 20 blogs during Vegan MoFo! Now I am exceeding it!

I am not all that exciting when it comes to breakfast on weekdays. I would like to be, but I do not want to wake up any earlier than I already do. I generally e
at something quick like dry gluten free oatmeal (that may seem gross to you, but wet oatmeal often makes me gag), gluten free English muffin with peanut butter and banana or other toppings, or gluten free cereal. As you can see, weekday breakfasts are not very inspiring.

After visiting a B&B recently, I was introduced to the idea of quinoa in the morning. It blew John and I away. It was so delicious, filling, and nutritious. We have now incorporated it into our routine and sometimes cook it the night before. Not only is quinoa delicious and versatile, it is also healthy. It is rich maganese, magnesium, iron, copper, and is low in fat. Having quinoa in the morning is a good way to add some nutrients early on in the day. I also
plan on adding fruit and vegetable smoothies, but I am taking it one step at a time.

We buy mostly black and white quinoa based on the availability in our bulk section. This week we had black quinoa, which looks more purple when cooked. They probably all taste the same, but I tend to prefer the black and red. This is the recipe we make, but you could add in any nuts and fruits.

Breakfast Quinoa
1 cup of uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups of water
1 Tbsp chopped pecans
1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp dried cranberries
Fresh organic raspberries
Blood orange infused olive oil (you could use regular)

Bring the water to a boil and add in the quinoa. Simmer covered for 15 minutes. When finished, fluff with a fork. Place a serving in a bowl and sprinkle in the pecans, walnuts, cranberries, several raspberries, and a drizzle of the olive oil.

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Blood orange infused olive oil?!?! That sounds super fancy!

GiGi said...

Now I want breakfast for dinner! Black and white quinoa, Nice!

x said...

I am not very creative with brekky either, I eat the same gf muesli every day but you have really intrigued me with quinoa for brekky, thanks for sharing the recipe!

affectioknit said...

YUM! and I happen to have some quinoa that I need to use up...

Have a lovely day!

Cara said...

When you say dry oatmeal as opposed to wet, what exactly do you mean? Are you eating the oats straight out of the bag???

VeggieAmanda said...

Cara- yes, I do eat oats straight out of the bag. I know it is strange. :-) When the oats get wet and mushy it sometimes makes me gag. LOL!

Cara said...

Okay Amanda, this is very strange to me. I don't think I have ever met anyone who does this (or at least admits it). This makes me heart you all the more, however!

VeggieAmanda said...

Cara- You are so sweet! I am a strange cookie sometimes!

Veganosaurus said...

Oooh yummy breakfast!!

Congrats on crossing your MoFo post goal. :)