Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My First Etsy Sale!!

I joined Esty in April of 2008 hoping to start my own store. I waited a while and shopped around, buying gifts for others. It was not until early 2009 that I finally had enough products to open a store.

Since then, I have had some activity on my site (I can only tell when people "heart" my store or products), but no purchases. I joined the EstyVeg team as a way to promote myself and to be a part of a group that have similar views. I have been showcased several times in EtsyVeg blog and am glad to be associated with a group of like minded artisans.


One of the first products that I created for my store was a harvest apple decorative pillow. The pillow started out as two place mats that I recieved from a friend who was who no longer wanted the mats. As soon as I saw them, I envisioned a decorative pillow with embellishments. To make the pillow personalized, I added red buttons for the apples and brown yarn to stitch the wording that was already on the pillow. The wording read "Among the trees are always apples + leaves." I also used the brown yarn to stitch brown lines around the inside design of the pillow.


The varying shades of red buttons that made up the apples on the trees came from my collection of buttons. I inherited this collection of buttons from my grandmother (and probably some from my mother) years ago. I was compelled to save the buttons because I knew I could find a use. I just could not throw them out! Every time I get a garmet with an extra button, I add it to my collection in hopes that I will find the perfect use for it.


The stitching used around the border and in the wording was completed with yarn from an old project. It is hard to buy small quantities of one color of yarn, so I was forced to buy a whole bundle for a small project. I have found many uses for the yarn and still have NOT run out of it!


As always, the materials in this product, and all that I create, are vegan. The fabric of the place mats is a cotton blend and the pillow is stuffed with a polyester fiberfill left over from other pillows projects.

I am excited for the buyer to recieve this pillow as I had a lot of fun creating it and hope that it will bring her joy. I am in my element when I make things for people. It does not matter if they are simple, detailed, extravegent, or ordinary, I just like to create.

2 comments:

Alfonso said...

that's awesome, congrats!

affectioknit said...

Congratulations - the pillow is lovely!