Thursday, August 6, 2009

Simon and Oliver

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am a little behind on my blog. This is a blog I wanted to post back in February and am just getting around to it. I was inspired after spending almost a week

with two furry, four-legged friends when we went to visit my brother, his wife, and new daughter (Helena) in Texas.


In addition to a new baby (7-months-old), my brother and his wife also have a dog and a cat. Simon is the cat and he is an orange stripped fellow who likes people and would rather have nothing to do with his dog brother. Oliver is the dog and wants everything to do with everyone, including the cat.


When I visited in January, I got to spend time with them and their interactions were hysterical! Oliver would chase after Simon and bite him on the ear, tap his stomach, try to jump on him or try and chew on his tail. Simon would sometimes react by playing back or hissing at him as a warning. Oliver seemed to be clueless about the warnings. We had to step in many times and make Oliver leave Simon alone. I am not sure Oliver realizes that he is a dog and that Simon is a cat. In fact, if I had a guess I would think that Oliver thought of himself as a human.


I really bonded with little Oliver during my visit. I spent time taking him on walks, taking him in the back yard, petting him, and playing with him. Since Helena joined the family, he was becoming the ignored sibling and was starving for some human attention.


Over the past several years, I have become quite fond of small dogs. I have generally thought of myself as a large dog-lover, but now truly have a fondness for small dogs as well. Oliver is a Terrier and Chihuahua mix and seemed to inherit the best of both breeds.


When John and I finally are in a position where we can responsibly care for a dog, I am tempted to petition for a small AND a large dog. After all, our life could only become more enriched with the love of two dogs. I expect that it will be a while before we get one dog, but I become excited just thinking about the possibility.


As I wait for a four-legged friend, I will continue to volunteer with the Animal Protection Society of Durham to get my dog fix.

No comments: