Since I have taken these pictures, the lettuce has begun to bolt. Those of you not familiar with lettuce, that means that they have shot up several inches and are preparing to seed. This is our first year growing lettuce so I can't miss the opportunity to collect the seeds and save them for next spring. While it is preparing to seed, we can still eat it, but it is beginning to get bitter.
I am so anxious for our tomato and pepper plants to begin bearing fruit. Since this picture was taken, the stalks have grown about 5 inches. We have one cayenne pepper and the rest are bell peppers. This is our first year growing tomatoes in the ground and we forgot to take note of the variety of tomatoes. Luckily, we like all varieties of tomatoes.
When we start the garden next year, we plan to do some things differently:
- Start earlier. This depends on the weather, but seeds can be germinated indoors.
- Take note of all of the varieties of fruits/veggies that we plant.
- Eat our lettuce before it starts getting so hot out.
- Group our tomato and pepper plants together. I tried to do this, but I did not do so well. :)
- Label the name and location of each row of seeds. It is hard for us to determine the weeds, since we did not make clear, distinct rows.