Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hiking At Eno State Park

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
~John Muir



John and I enjoy hiking and we do not get to go nearly as much as we would like. When I was in graduate school in the mountains of Virginia, John would visit me during the summer and we would spend entire days hiking. We spent time on the Appalachian Trail and other areas nearby. We had many interesting adventures that we talk and laugh about to this day. We learned a lot about hiking, direction, and compasses during those summers! We were exposed to many parts of nature that we had never experienced and are thankful for each and every things that crossed our path.


One of the many things John and I have in common is enjoying nature. Even before we dated, and were just friends, we spent much time outside in nature. We both have the need to explore and see the beauty that is God. I personally find that I am the most connected to God when in nature.



While in college, I would retreat to the hiking trails, campus ponds, and woods when I needed to solace. I would spend time in conversation and prayer with God. I cannot help but be touched by God's spirit through all of the abundant life in nature. This is my true reason for being an environmentalist. Destroying nature and the environment is a direct hurt to God.


I always feel like John and I grow as a couple and in our spirituality when we hike together. We are always amazed by the beauty and feel at peace while in nature. We are thankful to live near a beautiful state park that has many hiking trails. Many of our Saturday afternoons are spent hiking in Eno State Park, when the weather is not too hot or cold. We especially enjoy the spring when everything is blooming and autumn when everything is changing colors.



Our most recent hike was this October where we witnessed the beginning of the changing of the leaves. We walked on the trails and crunched in the fallen leaves. We were dazzled by the river and its ability to reflect the changing colors. The river mirrored the brilliant colors and carried the leaves away. I felt sheer peace our hike. It helped me clear my mind and prepare myself for the upcoming work week. It was stress release at its best for me.


During our hike, we stopped to take a picture of our vegan hiking boots. Several Christmases ago, my parents bought us vegan hiking boots so that we did not have to hike in our sneakers. Our boots are SO comfortable and we are proud to say that they are cruelty free.


I cannot wait for our next hike. I hope it is soon!

2 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

We used to hike there - years ago - thanks for bringing back the memories - I'll have to get out the old photos now...

Anonymous said...

FEETS!