Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mint Hot Chocolate Almond Drink

It is the time of year when you start seeing Silk seasonal creations such as Pumpkin Spice and Nog. I like those well enough, but I'm crazy about the mint chocolate flavor! Facebook has been buzzing with talk about the new flavors in the store (ok, maybe only for those of you with lots of vegan friends). John was at Whole Foods and I asked him to pick up the chocolate mint kind. Much to my dismay, they were out of that kind and only had the pumpkin spice.

I am not a fan of the pumpkin spice. I always expect it to taste like pumpkin and it doesn't. I know it is just the spices from a pumpkin pie, but I want it to taste like pumpkin. Instead of sulking, I decided that I would make my own version of the minty drink. I looked through our cupboards and felt like I had the right combination and got to work. I must say that this recipe is as good as the store bought version. Although, I'll probably still buy it once and a while for a treat!

Mint Hot Chocolate Almond Drink
  • 1 cup almond milk (soy or coconut would work too)
  • 3 Tbsp vegan, fair trade chocolate chips
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp agave nectar
  • 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
Place the soy milk into a small saucepan and turn the heat onto medium. Whisk in the chocolate chips and cocoa powder and whisk until the chips melt. Add in the agave nectar and extracts and whisk again until warm.

Pour into a mug and serve warm!

8 comments:

GiGi said...

This post just warmed me up side. I like minty things.

John said...

I can say from personal experience that this is delicious!

Cara said...

And yet another thing you are turning me to--I haven't seen these cacao chips yet (then again, I haven't been looking for them either!) I cannot wait to try them out. And I *love* minty drinks. My favorite! xox

VeggieAmanda said...

I hope you can find them! We have a store called Earth Fare that sells them. I think that Whole Foods might sell them as well.

x said...

I've never made mint hot chocolate but now I really, really want to!

Anonymous said...

hi to all newmanimproved.blogspot.comers this is my first post and thought i would say a big hello to yous -
regards speak again soon
garry m

Tracy said...

OMG Amanda, that sounds fantastic! I love mint and chocolate together too - and will definitely make this. My husband doesn't, so I like that it's a single serving. I splurged on the soy nog this week... but it needed some rum. :) Hope to see you at Pinhook soon.

VeggieAmanda said...

I hope you like it! We'll be at the Pinhook next Sunday. Hope to see you there. :-)