Cashews are among my favorite nut and if I don’t watch myself, I can eat too many in one sitting. While nuts are healthful, they contain fat and I try not to consume an overabundance of fat in my diet. This is pretty easy since I’m vegan!
Some of my favorite ways to enjoy cashews is to add to cooked dishes, granola, oatmeal, and cereals. Every once and a while, I want the cashew to be the star of the show and when that is the case I dine on cashew cheese. There are probably hundreds of recipes for cashew cheese and if I repeat one here, it is by coincidence only. I’ve combined elements of cashew cheeses that I’ve had in the past to come up with the following recipe. I served it at a recent event and it was a hit!
- 2 cups of raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours (if you need them quicker, you can go with at least 30 minutes)
- ¼ cup of water- use more or less depending on consistency.
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Tahini to taste
- ½ tsp of salt or less to taste- I prefer less
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Pinch of paprika
- Pinch of chili powder
Chill for about a half hour, or until ready to use. Serve with gluten free crackers or vegetables and enjoy!