Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Truly Natural Apple Pie

In an effort to make good on my goal, I am blogging on this rainy and dreary night. I am on the couch with a warm blanket and a hot cup of Silk's pumpkin spice drink. Mmmm! We recently discovered this seasonal drink and I have been indulging in a small warm mug each night. It makes me want autumn to last forever!

Since we have moved to our new home, we have been able to shop at Earth Fare. At first I was sad that we were about 15-20 minutes away from Whole Foods and then we realized the greatness of Earth Fare. It is North Carolina owned and I enjoy supporting "local" businesses. It is a lot like Whole Foods, only not as crowded. The store takes a strong stance on only selling good, healthy products. The store has a list that they call the "Boot List " and they do not sell products containing the ingredients on this list. Such as, high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors/sweeteners/flavors/preservatives, bleached or bromated flour, etc. I am very impressed by their commitment to health and to the environment. For example, if you don't bring your own bags when you shop, you are charged per bag to pay for the carbon offset. In addition, the bags that they carry are compostable.

HFCS, artificial ingredients, and hydrogenated oils have become commonplace by a many mainstream companies i because they are cheap. Earth Fare does not just stock products that are cheap, they stock what is right. They are a great example for the American food market, and the market could use an overhaul!


This blog is not intended to be a rant about our society and its declining health due to the chemicals in our food. It is really about an amazing vegan pie. You see, after we signed up for their mailing list, we got a coupon for a free pie from Earth Fare. We went to the store hoping that they had a vegan pie and that they would honor the coupon for one. To our luck, and surprise, they did!

That same evening, we cut two pieces and enjoyed them warmed. The pie was better than I expected and guilt free (not calorie wise)! No animal products, no artificial stuff, no hydrogenated oils, etc. Just pure, sweet delight!

Since then we have made Earth Fare part of our regular shopping experience. We do not buy all of our food there, but we buy what we can. I would rather spend a bit more money on good quality, healthy, and organic food than on anything else. In the end, I feel better. We do not have any products, or many, with HFCS and we now eat more organic foods. That gives me piece of mind. I cannot control much in my life, but I am really trying to make a difference and this is one way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But want about the yummy lard?

affectioknit said...

Oh - I miss Earth Fare so much...

The pie looks really yummy though...

VeggieAmanda said...

I am so glad we discovered Earth Fare! Do you have a similar store near you?