Friday, March 27, 2009

Watching Sadie

I have always thought Corgies were cute dogs, but had never spent any time with one. I find their stubby legs, long bodies, and perky ears an adorable combination. They look like a cross between a fox and a bear.


We recently had the opportunity to watch a Corgie, named Sadie, who lives with a family friend. I picked up Sadie on a Friday afternoon and kept her until Monday morning. Our meeting was love at first site. She immediately licked me and begged me to pet her. I, of course, complied.


The ride back to our place was very pleasent. She politely got into the backseat and stayed put on the towel I put down for her. I think "polite" would be the best way to describe her. She seemed to understand the commands I gave to her and listened very well. She also would come up to me and make a little noise as if to say "excuse me, can I get a pet?" If I ignored her, she would do it again. It was very cute and almost sounded like we were having a conversation (maybe we were?).


Her politeness even extended to the mornings. She would walk over to where we were sleeping and make a low noise to wake us up to ask to go out. During her visit, I became sick with a cold and it was like she knew it because she went to John's side of the bed to ask to be let out. I spent an entire Saturday on the couch recovering from my cold/flu and she was next to me the whole day. I pet her every so often to thank her and give her a little praise.


When I was feeling better, we took her to the park to play frisbee and she was so obiedient off of the leash. She never ran away or wondered off. If we were concerned that she was walking to far away, we would call her name and offer her a treat. The promise of a treat would send her back in our direction.


We love all of the dogs that we watch because they touch us in different ways. Sadie's visit was the most polite and behaved visit we have ever had with a dog. We had such a nice weekend and cannot wait to spend time with her again.

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

What a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Why are you choking the pup in the next to last pic?

VeggieAmanda said...

I am petting her under her chin. She liked that! :)